There are many ways in which you can support the mission of the Junior League of Charlottesville (JLC). Please consider becoming a sponsor, attending a JLC event, purchasing a fundraiser ticket, donating to the JLC, or advertising in our publications. Know that when you contribute to or through the JLC, you too are improving the community through trained volunteers.
Take a look at some of our rich history!
- 1930s– Founded by the JLC, the Opportunity School within the Venable School opened. It was the first special education school in the City school systems.
- 1944– We started the Albemarle Chapter of the National Defense motor corps.
- 1946– The JLC opened the Opportunity Shop, a community consignment store on the Downtown Mall
- 1965– The JLC organized and staffed the Senior Center, which continues to serve the community and aging adults today.
- 1982– Before it became the Virginia Discovery Musum, the JLC established a children’s museum at the Primary Care Center of UVA hospital.
- 1990s– We started the Women to Women alcohol education program and worked with the Shelter for Help in Emergency to set up a transitional housing for families.