There are many ways in which you can support the mission of the Junior League of Charlottesville (JLC). Please consider becoming a sponsor, attending a JLC event, or donating to the JLC. Know that when you contribute to or through the JLC, you too are improving the community through trained volunteers.
Take a look at some of our rich history!
- 1930s– Founded by the JLC, the Opportunity School within the Venable School opened. It was the first special education school in the City school systems.
- 1944– We started the Albemarle Chapter of the National Defense motor corps.
- 1946– The JLC opened the Opportunity Shop, a community consignment store on the Downtown Mall
- 1965– The JLC organized and staffed the Senior Center, which continues to serve the community and aging adults today.
- 1982– Before it became the Virginia Discovery Museum, the JLC established a children’s museum at the Primary Care Center of UVA hospital.
- 1990s– We started the Women to Women alcohol education program and worked with the Shelter for Help in Emergency to set up a transitional housing for families.